Friday, September 14, 2018

Wolfgang Tillman- emma doherty

1. Which of the artists many technical choices are of interest to you and why?Being an avid fan of Tillman’s work, I have studied and reviewed his work consistently. When I first look at Wolfgang tillmans work, the first thing that comes to mind is his use of abstraction. He has a line of work that he refers to as “lighters” which include directly exposing photo sensitive paper and experimenting with different forms of fixers. Without sounding cliche, Tillman is literally looking st the photo beyond the camera (or without it).

2.What do you believe are the artists conceptual and/or thematic intentions?When I originally went to his website, the first thing I looked for was his biography. When I got to the page, instead of having a basic summary of his early life, education, and exhibitions, he has a complete timeline of of his life from birth till present day. All factual and all straight forward which I think for how abstract he is best discribes him. Although his work his abstract and consists of realism he is continuously straight forward with one personal intention in his work.


3. How do you personally respond to these intentions? 
In my opinion I think it wasn’t a skill or a mindset that he has always had. He has definitely been the type of artist to evolve and create his persona over years and years of work. Unlike some artists, Tillman didn’t start with the same artistic intentions then he has now. 

4.. Reason why I chose this artistI have always been interested in Tillmans work and I think he shows me a level of abstraction that I have yet to find in my own work. He takes simple and straight forward concepts and evolves them into abstract ideas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment