Friday, September 21, 2018

Marlena Artis 5 Discoveries





I decided to play with aperture and shot several different scenes of moving water. I've never actually done this before so I tested out each scene with different levels of aperture. I found that really fast moving water does not necessarily need a very large f-stop. With the first photograph, I kept shooting with larger apertures such as f/32 and f/22 because I assumed that since the intensity of the water movement was fast that it needed a larger aperture. I ended up finding that everything was just too blurry. I found that all of these shots needed small or medium f-stops in order to achieve a glossy look.


I was extremely intrigued by how zooming in and zooming out really impacts a photograph. I decided to play around with this effect some more and found that the reflections off this window is greatly changed as well from just applying zoom. The bottom of the window frame comes out towards me rather than the whole thing looking like a fish eye effect.


I think I'm starting to get a better understanding of night portraits and how to get rid of grain. But also at the same time have a shutter speed fast enough for hand held shooting. If you refer back to my "Fear" photos, I posted a shot of one of my very first night portraits. I really despised the graininess. But as you can see, in this photo the ISO was pretty decent and I simply needed to just increase the shutter speed to reduce the possible blur. I've learned that night shots don't necessarily need a high ISO for the image to be bright enough.



In this photograph I adjusted the shutter speed and had no idea how much it would have impacted this photo. I took all of these shots at once with varying shutter speeds. The top one is with much faster shutter speed and the bottom one was with a regular shutter speed that met in the middle of the scale. I've learned that light reflecting off an object has a better contrast with a higher shutter speed/bigger aperture.


No comments:

Post a Comment