Friday, September 14, 2018

Megan Jacobs - Abby Chambers - Post 3






Megan Jacobs

1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why?  

At first glance, what drew me into these photos was how they had an almost formal feel, but with bright colors and patterns. It kind of reminded me of Kehinde Wiley's paintings. I was also drawn in by the figures under the fabric. They made me think go ghosts or something paranormal, which I like, so that made me more interested in finding out what the artist was trying to achieve. 

2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions?  

I believe the Jacobs' intention is to give tribute to how much a mother does for a child. I learned that in early photography, if a child was being photographed the mother usually sat under a sheet and had the child sit on her lap to hold them still because exposure times were so long. Jacobs was using this piece of information to create a series representing how much a mother does for her child, physically and emotionally. I believe the fabric choices also represent the femininity of women and mothers.

3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?  

I personally find these pictures very visually appealing. I also think that Jacobs' concept is very straightforward and she does it in a beautiful way. It's simple, but it works. It also makes me think about how much I appreciate my mother, which I think Megan Jacobs was hoping the viewer would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment