Thursday, September 20, 2018

Ryan McGinley - Abby Chambers - Post 4






1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why? 

I was introduced to McGinley's work in my time studio class last semester. If I remember correctly, we were talking about motion and how a video is essentially thousands of photos put together and how photos can capture motion or something like that. When my professor shows the class some of McGinley's work, I was really drawn in by how soft and candid, but also intimate his photos are. They really feel like a single moment captured in an image.

2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions?  

McGinley enjoys trying to capture motion in his photographs. I know he also likes to create the illusion of chaos, so I think that's the concept/theme he's trying to achieve. I think he's trying to capture chaos and movement in a single moment. All his pictures feel very candid.

3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?  

I really like all of Ryan McGinley's photos. They're very raw, real, and intimate and I respect both him and the models in his photos for creating something that feels that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment