Thursday, September 27, 2018

Denver Edmonds- "The Malian Community in France" Patrick Zachmann *post 5*




1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
I feel as though Zachmann wanted to capture the life that the Malian community brings to France by incorporating colorful garments that correspond with their environment/community. The colors mainly revolve around red, blue, green, and yellow. I think this balances the photos well because they are primary colors and green colors involved. I also enjoy how to poses are natural, this shows that Zachmann didn't want anything to feel forced in the composition. Lastly, I appreciate how the subjects sometimes look into the camera while posing, which relatively shows there was a comfortable relationship between the photographer, the environment, and the subjects. 


2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?

I feel as though Zachmann wanted to show appreciation towards the Malian community. Personally, this is a community in France I have never heard about from anyone. I'm assuming that Zachmann wanted to display appreciation and consideration for this community. Since I've never heard about the Malians in general, I wanted to know more about them from the photographs. Yet, the series is about the differences between the Malian's homeland in Kayes and the suburban area of Evry (outside of Paris). France decided to improve the living conditions of  Malains (through the city of Evry) because there are 60,000 of them working in France.  However, most of the workers are in Kayes and receive aid from their families in Kayes. 

3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I feel as though the series provided a lot of context before I knew any information behind it. I could tell there was a difference between two types of communities by the black and white photographs of Kayes and the colorful photos of Evry. This allowed me to analyze the composition and objects within each scene. I think Zachmann made smart visual choices that were not only pleasing to the eyes, but informational. 

4) Why I chose this artist?
I chose this artist because it allowed me to learn something new. Usually, I pick black artists that are displaying blackness in America, but this time I experienced a small part of the world. This series is especially important to me because Europe seems to be overpopulated by white people, but it's nice to see a community of black people within their own land and infiltrating certain spaces. I hope the Kaynes continues to progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment