Thursday, September 20, 2018

Hana Pearlman. Post 4 PAULINE GOLA: IN THE DEEP

1)  Although it may seem that Pauline Gola used double exposures, photoshop, and visual distortion in her beautiful underwater photographs, that would all be a ruse. The images are all without the great use of photoshop. The images are all composed within camera  All photographs are shot underwater, giving the images a womb-like energy to them. I believe the choice to put the images in black and white was a conscious and accurate choice. Some of the images use blur or double exposure, changing the energy to feel agitated, and in some instances a sense of panic. 

2)  There were few tidbits of the information below the images and about the artist. Paule Gola chose to make photographs that showed her experience with being a swimmer her entire life. Feeling at home in the water and out of place on land, she expressed this feeling very accurately in the exhibition of her work. Gola wanted to show her personal language and experience with having a childhood within the water. Which I think comes across in a somewhat strong manor, some images giving just the hint of childlike wonderment.  

3)  On a personal level, these images attracted me, not because  I relate to them in any fashion, but because I found them incredibly interesting. The second and third images leave me simply speechless. The curtain and the window leading to the darker depths of the water is astonishing to me. Every photo I have ever seen is always something played off another artist, so on and so forth, as art usually is. However, I haven't seen images quite like this and that's what attracted me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment