Thursday, September 6, 2018

Hardi Budi - Nicole Plummer post 2






Budi’s images first caught my eye as I browsed the Lensculture emerging talents page. His choice of high contrast black and white, low saturation photos were instantly appealing. They felt very raw, in the sense of natural emotion, yet uncannily situated. The center weighted composition also conveyed an unnatural air, but still very pleasing considering I am drawn to symmetrical style. Lastly, the overall simplicity allows me to engage a deeper meaning within the photo and myself. If they had been crowded and complex I would have had less to expand upon in my mind.

Obviously, there is a ceramic tub, a dark background, and eerie arms draping over the edge connecting the series, but there are many more nuances, which allow curiosity to flow. While using the primary “tub” connection, it adds a sense of heaviness in combination with the mannerisms of the subjects. It appears the tub is a symbol of cleanliness in contrast to the dark black clothing, or chaotic facial expression. The uses of subtle contrasts, personally, build a bit of a story.  First, the emersion of arms exhaustedly reaches for the kitten. Next, the cranes represent freedom, yet they are flying away and the woman seems distressed allowing one to conclude: she is trapped. Following, there is a scene of out lash in pursuit of forcefully freeing oneself. Lastly, the woman has burned out from exhaustion.

I can only imagine Budi’s idea of his own images, but that’s what I found so appealing. His images are open and allow the viewer to decide the exact meaning and order they should exist or could exist. My idea of the images and their story they convey is only a reflection of my own life and experiences. These images spoke to me deeply, but only due to my own life and passions. Others may see nothing; after all, there is a limited amount of information available in the first place. Beautifully plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment