Thursday, September 20, 2018

Mariela Gavino - Fear Pictures




I've always been afraid to take self portraits, especially with a high quality camera

Even in the photos I did make, I was still shying away from the camera. I photographed some of my features that I was more insecure about, my skin and face without makeup on.

I have never taken self portraits. This was the first time I had set myself in front of the camera and put a timer. I don't take self portraits because I hate my skin up-close. I struggled with severe acne for a long time and even if I am over most of it now, I still am very hesitant to take self portraits. I feel way more comfortable behind the camera where I have a sense of control and I know how the picture is going to turn out. As I was making these, I was getting frustrated because I never knew how it would look. A lot of the photos came out blurry or underexposed. After I took every photo, I scrambled behind the camera to check it and immediately would critique everything about the pictures. I was pretty uncomfortable, and never really knew how to pose. But as I kept forcing myself to take more, I started really considering composition and lighting rather than focusing on how my skin would look. It was just about getting used to it after a while. This project did force me to experiment with it and I still think I would've avoided it even further if it hadn't been for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment