Thursday, September 20, 2018

Ruben Pagan - Erin Malone - The Alviso Project




The artist, Erin Malone shot these images with a pinhole camera. I was instantly intrigued when I stumbled across these images solely upon noticing the soft, brush-stroke-like textures to the images. I admire this because it reminds me of old realist landscape oil paintings which I like a lot. The motion of the camera, double exposure, and long exposure itself are good techniques that can be combined or used separately to achieve images like these. The choice of settings and time of day also works really well towards adding the soft look to the photos.

I believe the artist's intentions are to use combined techniques to show what she sees in her mind rather than what is specifically in front of her eyes. Meaning, highlighting the beauty that she finds in nature which she spends a lot of her time in and how the environment combines with her senses and what it makes her feel. The images are meant to evoke a "timeless quality of serenity and beauty.

My thoughts as I inspect her choices and intents focus on the techniques she uses. I believe that the double exposures and the overall intentional blur created make her work what it is. In other words, I do not think it would be as strong if these techniques weren't implemented. This is because the softness completely changes the vibe of the images, therefore changes what the viewer feels upon analyzing them. The images would have a much more ordinary effect, even if they had been taken regularly without a pinhole camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment