Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Peter Franck - Nicole Plummer Post 4



Peter Franck


            Right off the bat, I was drawn to the sci-fi appearance of the first image. Being a huge fan of conceptual/surrealist/sci-fi art I had to know what Peter’s process was. Interestingly, he takes photos from the early 1900’s and scans them in for some fun photo shopping.  I fell in love with the idea of “futurizing ” old photographs. He also intends to create wet plates of his images and maybe even work them further from that point. All of this considered, I enjoy most if not all his technical choices form old black and white photos to digital manipulation and reprinting.

            Conceptually, they seem relatively straightforward to me. Although they are primarily abstracted a bit, the concept stays in a future setting with an old school film appearance. Reading a bit of his dialogue about his childhood, I started to consider a possible deeper meaning. He was the only one in his family who wanted to endlessly look through “old holiday pictures” as he stated. His concept could reflect the fact he’s in a modern era with a vintage heart. Essentially, I imagine his passion lies within the process of carefully selecting and capturing photos, but unfortunately for him existing within this day and age, quantity is a high demand in certain situations. Thus, taking old photos and manipulating them is his way of getting the best of both worlds.

            Similarly, I myself enjoy photo manipulation, and greatly appreciate when methodical time and thought are evident within a photo. Lastly, I believe the greatest take-away I get from his series is manipulating premade photos. In the past, I typically would stage a situation presumptuously for post-manipulation. Because of this body of work, I am intrigued with the idea of shooting photos first, and picking some afterwards to manipulate. Not to say my original planning method is no longer valuable or something I no longer enjoy, only that, he has encouraged me to expand and try a new work flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment