Monday, September 17, 2018

Amber Carpenter - Chuck Grant - Post 3

1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why? 

I very much enjoy Chuck's use of harsh lighting overhead of their subject, yet I love how they also aim to achieve a more dreamy look, when they're not dabbling in highly contrasted images. I think lighting is key when it comes to Chuck's photography, a good majority of it wouldn't look the same if it wasn't for the key use of lighting. I also think the use of color in her photographs give it a sort of old life to them.
2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions?  


I think her choices conceptually have changed over the years from very poetic portraits on 120mm film, to more commercialized choices but never the less I still think her dreamy and raw portraits are a big theme. I think she chose to have dramatic lighting and very real looking portraits in her early work to where now she is going a more dreamy soft type of portrait. 


3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents? 


As I do enjoy her softer looking photographs I do prefer her 120mm Hasellblad portraits. I think her style is shifting with the current trends in photography and probably in her own way moving on to a more mature state of her photography.


Chuck Grant










No comments:

Post a Comment