Thursday, September 13, 2018

Lori Nix and Kathleen Gerber - Nicole Plummer Post 3




Lori Nix and Kathleen Gerber
website

     One of the first things that caught my eye was their choice of color and how vibrant the images were. A lot of scenes similar to theirs tend to feel cheesy to me, but something felt different. I wanted to know if these "magical" images were real places. Come to find out, they had hand made every detail in their images. They typically work on one image for a month at least. Their attention to detail is awe inspiring and allows for a beautiful collection of vibrant images.

     After watching a video they made, I learned that they have created a tiny "post apocalyptic world" they named it the Empire. The literal concept is quite popular in today's time making them slightly less interesting, but what they did with the concept is what amazes me. They used lighting and shots that almost feel surreal. This could be due to the use of miniatures portrayed as giant sculptures, either way, I enjoy the feel quite a lot.  

     I found myself in a place of nostalgia as I remember watching lots of claymation films as a child. In these types of movies, the scenes are very similar to the style Nix and Gerber use in their sets. Because of these reasons, I strongly connect with them despite their content. I also am an enormous lover of miniatures and thus enhancing the playful enchanting side of these photographs. Overall, wonderful creations and wonderful memories come to me through these images.

"I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured, if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn't be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason." - Hugo Cabret

No comments:

Post a Comment