Sunday, September 16, 2018

Amber Carpenter - Luke Gilford - Post 2

1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why? 

When Luke composes his shots I feel as if there is such a clean and perfect ness and attention to detail of every part of the image. What interests me the most though is his color use and and almost perfect crispness of every shot he makes. I also love that he uses film for almost all of his work. As I see it gaining traction back into the actual industry once again its nice to see some clean portra shots that aren't trying to be so lossed of creativity and gaining the clean shots we see before us.
2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions?  

I think Luke Gilford tries to achieve clean and crisp portraits while also still keep the creative melancholy and blank stares that many of them contain. I think he creates a very mute atmosphere with the pictures he makes, the models are rarely ever expressive or showing emotion and I think that is a artistic intent. I think with certainty he has a general theme / aesthetics going on in his pictures that are very clear when you look at them. 

3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?  

I find the simplicity of his pictures to be boring yet very intriguing at the same time, I think he pulls together concepts that would otherwise not be very visually interesting but with the way he creates them he makes it work.
I really enjoy looking at Luke's photos and I would like to see more chaotic shots from him.

Luke Gilford






No comments:

Post a Comment