Thursday, September 6, 2018

Britney Cathey-Adams



3bcadams_untitled5
4bcadams_imbibe
10bcadams_opening
13bcadams_untitled3


1) which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why? 


I really have an affinity for black and white photography. I don't exactly know why. I'm sure I will continue exploring this fascination in later blog posts. Perhaps, I find colors of the subject or background distracting from the colors or back grounds themselves. Without color the viewer is forced to focus on the subject and background as they relate to each other in light and space, not as they relate to each other in color. Somehow this makes the subject seem more tangible, more real and permanent just like how a white marble sculpture can seem more real than its human inspiration.

2) what do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions?

I believe Cathey-Adams intends to celebrate the fat female body in relation to nature. Nature is enormous and beautiful. No one thinks a giant mountain would be prettier if it were smaller. No one looks at a mountain and says, "That mountain isn't natural. That mountain shouldn't be there." Cathey-Adams correlates the enormity and beauty of nature to her enormous and beautiful body. She positions her body in such a way that it seems like she is a part of the landscape. She is a part of nature and consequentially its splendor. She is not relegated to the realm of the grotesque, lazy, or greedy because of her size.

3) how do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

I empathize and applaud Cathey-Adams for using her societal vulnerability as a strength in her art. Everyone at some point has wanted to reject their body, but Cathey-Adams shows her love for hers and makes me feel I can appreciate my own even more. Her portraits are more than the regular body positivity shots. Those types of photos say, "You should love me even if I look like this." Her photos say. "I love myself despite what you think of the way I look."








No comments:

Post a Comment