Thursday, September 20, 2018

Sydni Stearns Ben Sasso Post 4

BEN SASSO-

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

This artist chooses to create images that I believe display some of the purest forms of life. He says that he has finally found a style of photographing that he genuinely loves and feels free creating. I am so drawn to this said style because the photos are visually pleasing and are made up of earthy tones and subdued colors which I very much enjoy. He photographs people mostly, but does not simply take an average photo of them; he will photograph them naked, or upside down, or posing in a dramatic way, or overlaid on another photo, or being thrown into the air, etc. I love the choices he makes with the placements of the models and the locations he decides to shoot at as well as his editing style.

2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual and/or thematic intentions?

Now, here is the aspect of his photos that has intrigued me the most about him. I have recently been introduced to Ben Sasso's work from a friend and I took a look at his work. On his instagram, which is his main platform for his photos, each post has a caption that displays a message in such a way that I usually do not see on photography instagrams. Each caption truly makes me think and I enjoy that. Each photo he takes is paired with a small spill of his thoughts that is so beautiful to me. For example, his caption on the second photo I have included is, "The more things we collect, the more we have to maintain. I used to think this only applied to physical belongings, now I know it applies more to the masks of identity I've spent my life polishing. The time I used to spend building my costume, I now spend trying to take it off." I love this because we truly are building a costume for ourselves for others to perceive positively and once we realize this and that we are able to be whoever we can be for ourselves and only ourselves, we can begin taking our costumes off. Another quote of his that really resonated with me is, "The hands that trapped me in that twisted existence were my own and the relief of letting go is returning me to who I really am. I'm creating art I genuinely love. I'm existing without restraint. I'm feeling more free than I ever have. It's an ongoing project, here's to unraveling." This quote and especially the phrase "Here's to unraveling." truly speaks to me and impacts me. It makes me want to feel free and want to create art and live with no restraints and do it how I want to do it. He is voicing his thoughts and trying to create art that is raw and pure while presenting a message about life and living freely. I truly can see his message in his photos and I enjoy them immensely.

3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

Personally, I am so inspired by his choices and intents. I want to create art freely and push myself to create without boundaries. I want to create work that I love. I think that the first photo I have included below is so beautiful and it is captioned, "During fits of attraction, humans often touch their naked bodies together. Reason: unknown." This makes me realize that all humans really want is to be close with others and receive affection. We simply want love, we all want to be loved, He presents such a concept that is so meaningful to me in most of his photos. Each photo below will be ones that I am using for inspiration in my future photos that I make. I think his model choices as well as color and location choices are fantastic. I especially love the message paired with each photo.

4. Why I chose this artist:

I chose this artist off of instagram because he is someone I recently have been introduced to about a week ago and upon looking at his photos, I am so drawn to his style and the messages he presents. He genuinely impacts my thoughts and will definitely inspire the work I create. I felt as if I needed to create a blog post about him because visually AND conceptually, he is so fascinating to me.







No comments:

Post a Comment