Thursday, September 20, 2018

Denver Edmonds- Micaiah Carter "The Marriage" *post 4*






1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
Since this is a fashion piece, there are a lot more aesthetic choices made; however, I enjoy the red background that represents love. I also enjoy how there is a low aperture and no dramatic lighting, it creates a realistic setting (aside from the red background) that puts the focus on the models. The clothing heighten the story of two lovers committing to each other. The poses are interesting because when the models are together, the gestures are simple. In my opinion, this speaks to the love that they share as a couple because the chemistry speaks for them instead of the poses. When they are apart, the gestures are dramatic. In my opinion, this gives each model a personality within themselves and the clothes.   


2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?

I believe that the artist is showing the power of love, but also the power of culture. Each model is dressed in a hairstyle and/or clothing item that depicts their cultures. What is interesting about this piece is the mixing of the cultural clothing between each model. They intersect to create something considered "new". The concepts about love and culture intersect to show the power in emotions and humans. 

3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I enjoy the piece, especially because it feels like a modern day romance story. I appreciate both the people of color being celebrated through fashion, culture, and love. The intersection of these themes provide a progressive feel to the photos. The clothing items are high fashion, but the models bring character to the story and clothing to make the piece feel real and natural. I'm inspired by this piece because bringing all of those elements together is difficult. 

4) Why I chose this artist?
I chose this artist because she is photographer that crafts her work with a specific style towards black culture and aesthetics. The photos and/or style choices do not feel forced to me, which speaks to the fact that culture doesn't have to be sophisticated. It can be what it is and still be amusing. Her portfolio is extensive and she works with other young, black creatives as well, which is inspiring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment