Thursday, September 20, 2018

Sydni Stearns- Photos you are afraid to make/show

 First, I chose this photo of a tree branch because in order to take this photo, I climbed up into a tree. Now, I know this does not sound like a big deal, but I am afraid of heights. I have such an intense fear of how easy it is to simply fall to the ground when up high. I climbed into the tree and decided to climb higher and once I climbed higher, I was able to take this photo. I felt a pit of fear and held onto the tree. I took my hands off of the tree and adjusted my settings so that I would have adequate lighting for the photo. I am clearly safe now and faced my fear while taking photos!
 Next, I chose to photograph my skin. I have struggled with acne since seventh grade and my skin has always been my biggest insecurity. Last year, my skin was in the worst state it has ever been in and I desperately tried to cover my skin every single day. If I didn't have to leave my room, I wouldn't. Although I am finally seeing major improvements, I am currently breaking out so I decided to photograph my break out because it is something that I have been covering up. Posting this photo definitely makes me feel vulnerable and uncomfortable, but also freeing.
Stemming off the concept that we tackled in class to take photos of strangers, I wanted to take photos of homeless people that I encountered, but I was too afraid to give off the wrong impression to them and make them feel as if they are looked down upon or any less of a person as any other. I kept stewing on this idea and one day, I was about to enter my apartment building when a homeless man approached me and asked me if I could spare any change. I told him that I did not have any cash on me and we exchanged a few sentences back and forth. I finally worked up the courage to explain my assignment to him and ask if I could take photos of him and his friends that were with him. They gladly agreed and were so excited to participate. They were so kind and truly were wonderful people full of so much joy although they do not have much. I thanked them for their time and for allowing me to make photos of their joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment