Friday, September 14, 2018

Mathew Brady-Madeline Edwards-Post 3





Mathew Brady American Civil War Photography

1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why?  

Maybe its not so much a technical choice, but I love Mathew Brady's willingness to get down and dirty in order to capture an image. He risked his life in order to document the horrors of the Civil War, almost dying at the Battle of Bull Run. I love his willingness to never shy away from the truth.
 
2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions? 
I believe Mathew Brady photographed Civil War scenes to bring the reality of war to those cozy in their homes and those protected by the passage of time. Mathew Brady recognized the significance of the Civil War and documented it so that the country may never ignore or forget the suffering individuals went through in order to right the wrong of slavery. Brady's photographs are a dire warning to the country to not repeat the same mistakes. 

3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents? 
Mathew Brady's photographs fill me with a sense of wonder. Its hard to believe such tragedy and destruction occurred on the soil we stand on. One part of my mind says such horrors couldn't have happened so relatively recently and so close to home. Brady's photographs set my mind straight. I cannot deny or shy away from uncomfortable truths with Brady's stark photographic evidence shoved in my face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment