Thursday, September 27, 2018

Brezaja Hutcheson - Masahisa Fusake - Post 5


1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I like that Fusake focuses on creating a dark, somber environment for his photographs, because I believe that he is trying to tell a story with them. Specifically in his 1970s series, where he dedicated himself to studying black ravens.  I admire the way that Fusake approaches this series specifically, because with each photograph I observe, it appears to me that they could be used as a frame in a film. I admire when photographers can tell stories with their photographs, and create an air of mystery and curiosity behind their photographic work, which is what I believe that Fusake did with his works.



2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?

Fusake attempted to "stop" time with his photographs.  His aim was to document moments that he wished to cherish.  The two most poignant examples lie in his works where he would document his wife - he would do this in different environments and situations, showing how versatile she can appear to be while focusing on the same person in his life.  He did this with both of his wives, which I believe demonstrates how his passion for photography and his art can become intertwined with his
personal life. Often times, I believe that these two may feel one in the same for many creatives.  

He does the same thing with his series where he would study ravens; he attempted to document them in as many different situations as possible to show versatility, while keeping the focus the same. I do not believe that these series were intentional, rather just topics that he focused on on a daily basis, which may have subconsciously turned into a series of work. I believe that Fusake became so engulfed in his fascination with life and nature, that he continued to document his subjects because he saw something new in them every single time, even if the subject appeared to remain the same.



3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

Fusake, like many other artists that I admire, uses his method of documentation to express his feelings and/or admiration for his subjects.  I am interested in the idea that there is more to see from a subject every time that they are photographed, and that each individual photograph - even if documenting the same subject - can have a different meaning to its viewers.  As a person who aspires to be a "snapshot" photographer, or an artist that documents people and processes, I admire Fusake's photographic work merely for this aspect.


I am also intrigued by the mood that his photos convey. As someone who is interested in themes that appear dark and mysterious, his photos speak to me on a level that I resonate with. I am inspired by the aesthetic choices that he has made, and it makes me think about the ways in which I can emulate this style/way of thinking and transform it into ways that appeal to my own artistic voice and vision.
























No comments:

Post a Comment