Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Mariela Gavino - Mister Fili - Post 3

kid.jpg ektar100ny-7.jpgSatan.jpg

Ca_Made_The_Cut-19.jpg


LDAYPAY-19.jpg

Mister Fili (real name unknown) is currently based out of Richmond and has gained popularity through his street photography. Mister Fili is very active in the Richmond arts community and has actually done a show with Sasha Waters Freyer, the chair of the Photo/ Film department.
  1. Fili's compositional choices make his subject blend into the cityscape. He also frames a lot of his photos with strong diagonals, almost elongating the photos and giving them depth. His exposure in natural lighting also makes the photo feel more realistic and candid. These photos could be in any city in America and that ambiguity makes the photos a little more relatable to the viewer.
  2. I believe Fili's intents are to show how people define the city. They become the lamp posts, the benches, the signs. Fili is showing the side streets of these cities where the locals dwell, that they too are worth capturing in a photo. I also believe it is a display of everyday urban life and the rawness of stagnation aided by composition. Most people are used to going about their every day lives unnoticed. Its not a new, groundbreaking concept, but Fili captures everyone in their element and comfort. It makes me wonder if some of the subjects even knew they were being photographed.
  3. I found Fili's photos to be familiar. They way they are framed makes it as if they are from the perspective of anyone walking down the street. I see people like this everyday in Richmond, wherever I walk. These photos inspire me to try my hand at street photography. Fili has no fear in candidly taking photos of strangers and I want to have the same.

Quote that kills me: "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment