Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ten Rules and hesitations.

10 rules for producing a good photo:
  1. Lightroom & Bridge are the gods of editing and viewing photography.
  2. If possible, take more than one shot of the same thing. It's the worst when a shot looks in focus on your camera's lcd, but in reality is noticeably off.
  3. Horizon lines should never be dividing your photo in half.
  4. Kids move fast, ALWAYS be prepared and ready when they are your subject.
  5. Shooting outdoors on a clear day an hour or so before sunset will give you gorgeous light every time. Plan shoot times accordingly.
  6. Be friendly with people, especially when you're shooting. You never know what opportunities can arise from it, or knowledge you can gain.
  7. Go on an adventure. Take the long way home. Explore a place you've never been.
  8. Take your time.
  9. Carry a camera with you everywhere possible. 9/10 times that shot you missed won't be there when you come back.
  10. Don't force it.
To put it bluntly, I'm scared to take pictures of strangers, especially children. Even when it happens it's hard to do because you really only have two ways to go about it. You can ask if it's okay, or just do it anyway. The latter is your best bet to keep your subject as natural, and close to the state you found them in, but you also run the risk of seeming like the world's biggest creep if you get caught. This can be worth it though, because most people change their behavior when they are aware that a camera is recording them. This is why I favor kids. They don't seem to be as self-conscious and will behave however they see fit. One girl in particular stuck out to me recently. I see her every once in a while on my walks to class and when I do she's sitting on her porch steps picking aimlessly at some rocks watching other kids play at the park across the street. I tried to wave and be friendly once, but she just stared back blankly and continued whatever she was doing. Her resemblance to my best friend as a child is uncanny, and I want to take her picture, but I'm afraid to try because I feel like it's crossing some sort of unspoken social boundary, like I would need her parent's permission even if she is on public property. I want to do it, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

1 comment:

  1. I like your rules. they are very specific and good advices ! : D

    ReplyDelete