Sunday, September 25, 2011

Photographer, 10 Rules, and Photo I'm Scared to Take

Keith Ladzinski is a pretty sweet photographer. He's really into Rock Climbing so a lot of his photographs are of famous climbers. Normally I'm not really into this kind of photographs but the way he does it is really diffrent. The example I picked captures how he photographs. He always has a really diffrent approach to an image, whether he's looking for strange angles, lights, or new ways to experiment. I love this photograph because it's somthing I've never seen before. He had the idea to attach lights to the climbers shoes and then use a long exposure to capture the way the climbers feet moved.

10 Rules I Photograph By
1. Have a subject that can draw some kind of emotion
2. Composition- avoid placing subject in the middle unless it's a straight on portrait.
3. Try to use only natural light
4. Lots of depth of field
5. Compose everything in the frame how I want it, then be sure to try opposite angles
6. Try and limit the amout of "fixing" I'd have to do in Photoshop
7. Include intresting colors
8.There dosen't alwasy need to be a concept
9. Avoid "snap shots"
10. Always look around for other things to photograph

The Photo I've Been Afraid to Take
The photo I've been afraid to take I can't really take anymore. My boyfriend and I have been togeather for 3 years and a year and a half ago his mom was diognosed with breast cancer. At the time my aunt was going through the same thing but her chemo was wokring a lot better. I was glad my aunt was fighting it so well but I was also really angry that Connie (my boyfriends mom) was doing so bad. My first instinct was to photograph their experiences, especially Connie's, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was even invited to her chemo appointments to take pictures but I still couldnt do it. In May Connie was sent home and put on hospis. Every time I visited her she looked worse than she did the day before. I wish I had been there with my camera. For me photography is a way of making sense of things. I can create a physical representation of what I'm feeling and then go back and figure things out later. I still can't figure out why I was afraid to take those photographs and when she died May 27 I was so mad at myself for not taking the chance when I had it. That's the only time I've ever hesitated when it comes to taking a picture and there's not doubt I hesitated because I was afraid, I just can't figure out why. My aunt is in remession now and I'm still welcome to come to her check-ups but the erge to go for some reason is not as strong as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment