Sunday, September 11, 2011


Cole Barash has done a lot of snowboarding photography, which is one of the reasons I started looking into his work. I really respect that he still uses film for his personal shoots (or when companies are okay with it) and tries to show more than just what an athlete can do. I love this shot in particular for a few reasons. The way he incorporates diagonals does something really interesting, in my opinion, since it makes it more about the board and the action than who's doing it. This doesn't seem to be about vanity or selling anything. Instead, he uses the high contrast to keep only the silhouette, which I find really beautiful. I think he's managed to capture more about the sport of snowboarding and the passion in its practise that gets lost in the advertisement inherent to professional snowboarding. His snowboarding series is at http://colebarash.com.

1 comment: