Sunday, September 11, 2011

Inspiration Photograph


Ignacio Torres is more recent than most photographers. He graduated in 2010 from the University of Northern Texas with a BFA in photography but currently works in New York City. His whole body of work was just so inspiring and motivating to me. He works not only with photography but he experiments with cinemagraphs. Cinemagraphs are photographs that are .gif files in which there is isolated movement. It has both film and photography aspects to it. I think that his work over all is diverse. He works with photographs, cinemagraphs and film.

As I was looking to find a photographer that I actually appreciated I stumbled upon his series called “Stellar” on the Internet. Usually I would have just continued to stumble upon other artists and kept one in mind but his work demanded further exploration. This is one of the series that involved the cinemagraphs. The series is all about human movement and how it relates to the universe. My favorite thing to photograph is a person because I am interested in movement, emotions and culture. He photographed his subjects as in an ethereal sense as they float in some of the photographs. He also uses the environments around him such as the sun to make it look like his subjects are protruding out of the sun. He uses some kind of dust or sparkle in his photographic series to mimic a galaxy. His work is not something that can be described through words to understand. As the artist describes this series he says that it …began from the theory that humans are made of cosmic matter as a result of a stars death.”

One photo of this series that I like best does not seem to have a name. The subject is a jumping man interacting with the dusk’s sun. I love the interaction between the two subjects. I love that the almost silhouetted figure is in a dramatic pose that causes a lot of tension. I love that the photo is so simple but because of the small animation with in it, it because busy and full of drama. I love the aspects of the galaxy effect but I think that this photo is stunning and forced me to stare at it. Ignacio Torres is definitely one of my new favorite photographers and I look forward to his future work.


If the Cinemagraph does not work please go to his website and check on this photo and his other work. http://ignacio-torres.com/projects/stellar/


No comments:

Post a Comment