Sunday, September 25, 2011

Photo I'm afraid to take. artist. 10 rules


http://fotorobert.republika.pl/krajobrazy1.html

Robert Urbanksi is a Polish photographer who tends to capture typography. Although he does so well—visually pleasing—I find that style boring. I really appreciate the landscape photos he does. I personally, don’t like to take pictures of landscapes. For some reason I find too many other things more interesting, like close ups of objects and portraits. He captures landscapes beautifully which is something I’m not very good at. The exposure is perfect and the framing is interesting. Each photo makes me want to keep staring at it which is something I admire and hope to achieve in my work.

The photo I’m afraid to take.

I’m afraid to take a photo of landscapes with a film camera in black and white. First of all, like I mentioned earlier, I don’t really enjoy photographing landscapes. However, I find them appealing when other people capture them, and I’d like to try. I tend to find the appeal in the color of landscapes, not necessarily the shapes and shadows. I’d like to use a film camera to capture light well enough to make the picture stand out as color does.

My 10 rules:

1. Subject: there needs to be an interesting subject present in the photograph. I don’t like taking pictures of nothing.

2. The photo should contain a person more often than not. At least that’s how I roll.

3. Lighting: a perfect photo needs dramatic lighting.

4. Aperture: the aperture needs to be perfect. I don’t like having to edit the lighting of a photo. It should be perfect from the start

5. No flash: Flash is almost tacky. It reminds me of snapshots that people that don’t know what they’re doing take.

6. Shutter Speed: should be slowish. I feel like it captures more for some reason

7. Steady Hand: the photo needs to be clear. I hate blurry pictures.

8. Framing: I think following the rule of thirds is an excellent guide. It really helps making the photo more interesting.

9. Shallow Depth of Field: I find close ups to be more interesting than being able to see everything in the shot.

10. The photo lastly should be balanced. Everything in the frame should be acknowledged when shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment