Saturday, September 10, 2011

I use to skateboard when I was 13 or 14 years old; but pushing the board was as good as I got and my best trick consisted in getting on and off the board while it was still rolling. I never learned how to skateboard, skateboard - that stuff is scary maaan - but watching my teen fellows destroy the street furniture was wildly amazing.

Hugh Holland documented the golden era of California skateboarding between the years of 1975 and 1978. He photographed people like Stacy Peralta and Jay Adams rolling/surfing down the streets at high-speed or looping around abandoned swimming pools. The light, the warms colors and the fluidity of the movements he captured transmit a full load of energy and summer feeling; his photos simply send me far off daydreaming! &Above all, what I also admire in Holland's photographs is the fact that he wasn't allowed to think twice. There were no second chances and he had to take his pictures in the moment, almost instinctly. Something i'd like to be able to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment