Sunday, September 25, 2011

Conglomerate Post

10 rules to a good photograph:

1. Keep in constant motion. Variety in the frame is crucial to a good series.
2. Pay attention to the technical nuances of your camera. It's the details that make a picture.
3. Keep the ISO as low as possible, but don't compromise the integrity of the shot. Don't sacrifice depth of field for a lower quality image.
4. Shoot with a large aperture .
5. Don't be afraid to put yourself in front of the lens.
6. Forcing a concept or an image is a quick route to disaster.
7. Observe the little things around you. Take in everything.
8. Hop the fence, physically and metaphorically. Slip through that "no entry" door. Explore.
9. Take as many shots as possible. More is better than less.
10. Have Fun. If you feel like you have to drag yourself to take pictures, maybe you shouldn't be in this gig.

A photo I've been afraid to take...Hmm. I am actually afraid of interacting with models. I don't know how to direct them to achieve my aim. I am afraid of the concept. I feel like I don't really come up with an idea going into a situation with my camera in hand. I just bring my camera and hit the shutter. Perhaps I should try and photograph a narrative. Being the one in charge is not my strong suit. That can change, though.

My featured artist is J Alex Goss. Goss is a photographer based in New York City. I'm not sure what it is that draws me to his photographs. They strike me as snapshots of someone's life who is perpetually in motion. There is a sense of movement/action to his photos. The more I look at them the more they appear to me to be all related in some sort of photo diary. They are incredibly crisp in quality, something I have always wanted to improve upon in my photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment