Wednesday, September 14, 2011

1000 photos assignment

I think that we had to take 1,000 photographs because it's a way of pushing ourselves, and you can't grow and learn without doing new things. I think that most people, and definitely me personally, had never had an assignment to take that many photographs. To me, this presented an opportunity to try new things and to apply what I learned technically in the first class to my work. Towards the end I was mostly worried about getting the number of shots, rather than trying so hard to produce a quality image. Interestingly enough though, this pushed me to use what was around me and to try new techniques like light painting that I had never tampered with before. They weren't amazing pictures by any means, but I tried something new and in that way, I grew as an artist.

I believe that by rating every single image, we are forced to look at and analyze every photograph that we take. Normally, I would just delete the ones I didn't like, but now I'm forced to view them and click a button that says I don't, which leads me to wonder why? Why did I give this photo the single star of shame? By realizing what I dislike about those images, I'm providing valuable insight for myself on what to improve on. Likewise with the images I do enjoy, I can start to even see trends and patterns in what makes a photograph pleasing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment