Friday, September 13, 2013

Sarah Retchin--TED talk


Aaron Huey’s TED talk wasn’t really about the Lakota Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and its inhabitants’ struggles, at least not in the context of our class. His passion for the Lakota tribe was irrelevant, because during class, the photos shown in his slide show caused me to wonder how I could connect with a subject like that. How could I capture such raw, honest emotion? However, I researched Huey’s collection of photography and found some interesting information.

After viewing his photography, many American Indians thought it was a one-sided view of the Lakota people. They asked, why couldn’t he have taken any photos of happy, sober, employed people, people like me?  When does one cross the fine line of bias? Sure, it’s important to be passionate, but should I be passionate about people whose story I may not know everything about?
“A flaw of all journalism is that someone else is telling your story,” Huey said. “It was always through my lens, and [my critics] felt like that lens was distorted.”

“Sometimes, it’s a matter of subjects’ not liking the way that other people see them. Other times, it’s a matter of photographers not really having seen them at all. “ So, yes, his photos illustrated moments of despair, of sadness, of anger, but that’s not their subjects’ whole story.

What I got from Huey’s speech was just a reminder. He reminded me that I may have the potential to capture a moment, but it’s just a glimpse into that person’s world—I have the power to interpret their story if I choose to share that captured moment. That’s a lot of power.  

This isn't everything that the article touched on, so check out the rest if you'd like: 

No comments:

Post a Comment