Sunday, September 15, 2013

Aaron Huey: TED Talk - Hannah Nees

Aaron Huey's TED Talk reminded me of how I choose to persevere with my photography even when I run into difficulties. When I first became interested in photography (fashion photography in particular), I did not realize the amount of effort and time I would have to put into becoming better at my art. I simply assumed that the more photos I took, the better of a photographer I would become. I soon learned that this was not the case, and that just because I may be taking a ton of photographs, does not mean that I was becoming a better photographer.

This relates to Aaron Huey's TED Talk, because I felt that he went into the land of the Lakota tribe believing that the more time he spent with the people the more he would know. What I understand from Huey's TED Talk, was that he had to do more than just spend much time with Lakota people, but he really had to put his all into connecting with them. He went into the project with the passion for what the tribe had been through throughout with past 200 years, and figuring out how it got to the point where the people of the Lakota tribe were considers prisoners of war. I feel that Huey came out of the time he spent with the Lakota people with the knowledge that you really have to connect with what he is passionate for to gain real understanding, rather than only spending time with the people are learning that way.

Huey's experience with the Lakota tribe connects back to my passion for photography, because of how I went into the field of photography with the idea that I would have to do the bare minimum to grow as an artist. I learned that I had to really connect and become one with my camera to grow as a photographer; just like Huey had to connect and be one with the Lakota people to really understand what they had been through throughout the past 200 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment