Friday, September 13, 2013

Jonnie Craig - Natalie Koalahepp



Craig is a British photographer who contributes pretty regularly to VICE Magazine. His photographs have energy or maybe immediacy about them that I connect to some of my own personal photographs. I bought his second book online, “I’ll Kick You in the Head with My Energy Legs”, and I just received it in the mail today. This black and white film series follows the lives of his close friends and just all that entails when a young group of guys are sharing a space and spend enough time together. Craig captures the closeness among them with an air of adventure and immaturity; these images feel important to me even though they are someone else’s memories. It’s probably strange to word it this way but I feel glad that this book and these images exist. I have no personal connections to the stories he is telling, or the people they are about but I understand his need to document their boring moments along with their shenanigans. Thinking about it recently, I’ve decided that every photograph in it’s own way is a small death because taking a photograph is capturing a moment that quickly dies and can never be duplicated the exact same way again, so in this way Craig is absorbing these moments and deaths of youth and preserving them and making them available for others to view and become more mindful of their own existence. 





No comments:

Post a Comment