Saturday, September 7, 2013

Alexander Binder - Natalie Kohlhepp


Binder is a Germany based photographer who works mostly with pinhole and toy cameras. I stumbled onto Binder’s work while actually trying to find out more about Corrine Day. I found his booklet of black and white pinhole photographs and became immediately intrigued. I am at first tremendously drawn to the presentation of his work in book/zine form; I think that it makes his photographs feel very accessible. Binder uses a lot of surreal and paranormal subject matter that I feel works very well in the black and white pinhole images; the blur adds a level of emotion and story.
            His color photography disappoints me some. Somehow his images lose their magic when color is introduced and develop a more desperate quality, perhaps because the images feel familiar, very consistent with the kind of photography that is prevalent on tumblr or in Urban Outfitters catalogs.






No comments:

Post a Comment