Thursday, October 11, 2018

Sydni Stearns - Will Darbyshire Post 7


 1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I am interested by Will's choice to photograph mostly everyday type settings in a more intriguing way, in my opinion, than an average everyday shot. They are very well exposed and remind me of the light and color project that we just recently had a critique for. He captures light and color in such a stunning way and his editing is so nice from my perspective. His photos are simply moments captured from his everyday encounters rather than from something such as a photo shoot. They all have a moody, high contrasted look to them which I really enjoy. I am very interested in his ability to photograph ordinary things and make them look so beautiful yet simple. The depth of field and exposure seem to be spot on, in my opinion, and they are so pleasing to look at.

2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual and/or thematic intentions?

I believe that Will's intention is simply to capture aspects of his life on camera. I think that he sees compositions in his everyday life that are compelling to him so he decides to photograph them. He makes photos that are very simplistic and contrasted, but also colorful in a subdued way. Each photo is simply a slice of his life displayed for people to see. He works with digital photography and also film photography. It seems that his photos mostly convey a sense of simplicity and peacefulness. They feel genuine and as if he really is just thinking "I think this composition would make a nice photo" or "I like what I am seeing so I will make a photo".

3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

I ,personally, appreciate Will's craft greatly. I think that his photos are so beautiful to look at and could easily be seen in a gallery or even as a phone background. I love the editing of his photos. They are so contrasted yet colorful. His eye for a good composition is exceptional to me. Each of his photos gives me a sense of peace and a longing for a feeling of home or adventure. I want to explore photography such as his more rather than just photographing people. I think he is wonderful at what he does and I appreciate him as a photographer and a cinematographer as well since he also makes films.

4. Why I chose this artist:

I chose this artist because Will is someone whose work I have kept track of since about 2014. I have been inspired by his films and photos for a long time. I think he creates beautiful images and the light and color assignment we critiqued in class reminded me of his work because I think he does a remarkable job at composing light and color together. I look up to him and hope to use a version of his editing style in my own work and create work of object/everyday setting compositions rather than just portraits which I primarily do. I truly am enamored by his work and I felt that I needed to include him in my blog posts because he is someone I have appreciated for years.




No comments:

Post a Comment