Friday, October 5, 2018

Denver Edmonds-Bruno Barbey "Nigeria" *post 6*




1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
I enjoy this body of work because of the attention to lighting. Within the first photo, the aperture is small, which creates a mystic environment and reflective surface on the water.  The exposure changes within the series, but the photos are never bright. This allows viewers to interpret a mood for the photo. Lighting obviously changes the way images are viewed and Barbey focuses on how it portrays the subjects of Africans in Nigeria. Lastly, I admire the attention to color because each composition contains what seems to be a composed color scheme. Even though Barbey did chose the composition of the photos, I feel as though the color schemes speak to the culture and beauty of Nigeria.  

2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?

I think Barbey wanted the audience to see the shift of Nigeria after the oil boom. Throughout the series, the audience can see how the community heavily relied on their culture during this period of change. Festivals and celebrations are reoccurring images, the culture is lively and so are the people. It seems as though Barbey wanted to show a time of prosperity through unity. There are barely photos of a single person because the community seems to be very compact.  

3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I enjoy this pieces because it gives me insight to culture and a period of time I do not know too much about. I try to expand my knowledge of time and culture throughout all of history, especially when it pertains to black people. I feel as though this piece is significant because Americans typically have a misunderstanding of other cultures (especially during the time of this series and especially of Africa). 


4) Why I chose this artist?
I try to stay fluent in my knowledge of black photographers, which causes me to pick one for each post. Yet, I was drawn to Barbey because of his attention to composition and how it affects the image of culture and blackness. Even still, blackness in Africa and America are extremely different. I think Barbey captured that with these images. I also chose this artist because it is the first series I have personally seen about Nigeria. I am also trying to be well versed in my knowledge of black countries and their history, since it is something that is limited in my American education experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment