Thursday, October 4, 2018

Reuben Wu - Nicole Plummer Post 5






“Exploring a place at night and in solitude enriches the experience of discovery for me.” Wu’s choice to go into nature at night and record a drone flying in circles over and over above random rock structures is absolutely fascinating to me. His choice of minimalist landscape/sci-fi landscape is not only a very challenging decision, but also, a well executed choice on his compositional part.

Besides being visually sci-fi, I don’t see much of a strong evident theme, yet conceptually, it feels never ending. A sense of peace is obviously present due to the calmness of the image as the rough mountains almost appear to melt. Continuing, the glowy halos could mean anything for anyone: a vision, life, afterlife, etc. I imagine Wu could be making a nod to when robotic life will officially intertwine with the earth and life we know now.

Prior to understanding the technical aspects of Wu’s Lux Noctis collection, they had a mesmerizing effect on me. After snapping out of the moment, I noticed how extremely detailed the images were and how beyond life they seemed. I had to understand the process. His choice to use drones blew me away, as of recent, I have become fascinated with drones and their images, but never had I imagined using a drones’ light to draw with. Incredible. Just goes to show me how going out of comfort zones and breaking boundaries can produce the most astounding images.

No comments:

Post a Comment