Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Dominique Teufen - Nicole Plummer Post 8





            While browsing through a photo website, I came across Dominique and I thought they were drawings at first! Why, I asked myself, would there be drawings on a photography website? Dominique was originally a trained sculptor and moved into the photo realm. After traveling the world she decided to reimagine the images and landscapes she saw. Amazingly, “the imposing mountain range turns out to be a trivial thin silk paper piece, the idyllic beach a thin plastic bag and the impressive glacier as a mere queuing of cotton balls.”  This was absolutely mind blowing to me. Every image was completely hand made then photographed through a copier. These two aspects were the most fascinating to me by far.
            Besides being absolutely gorgeous photographs, I’m not sure that there is much of a conceptual intention.  Sequentially, I began to feel the potential for a couple concepts. There could have been intentions to convey that our hands are what shape our environment, or that, we are easily tricked by our eyes into believing something is real when in reality is a fraud.
            Personally, I cannot seem to get past how much time and effort just one of these photos must have taken. I’m also blown away by the realism that she conveys despite how flat all of her materials are. I was not necessarily emotionally impacted in any way, but I am definitely inspired to try everything. Prior to finding Dominique I would have never thought her method would produce such stunning images, yet there they are standing tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment