Friday, October 26, 2018

Denver Edmonds - James Barnor *post 8*




1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
I appreciate how the images do not have dramatic lighting. This allows the subjects to look more natural within their settings. I also appreciate the color scheme in the color photos, the colors provide an aesthetically pleasing element. Lastly, I appreciate how most of the subjects are women. i feel as though this connects to the settings as well because each image has a delicate feeling.  

2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?
I feel as though Barnor is subtlety conveying the beauty of women in their movements and the settings. The women are posing in a manor that looks natural and causes their natural beauty to stand out. I feel as though Barnor just wanted to change the way the black women are portrayed in the media. This is shown by the poses, the direction of their eyes, and the soft colors. 



3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I enjoy the fact that the women are the main focus of the photo. The interesting parts of the images are when there is action in the background, but I cannot take my eyes off the women. In most of the images, the women loo directly into the camera, which adds mystery and beauty. They also represent an era of time. 

4) Why I chose this artist?
I chose this artist because I enjoy the appreciation of black women within this photo. Especially considering the women are from Africa, this causes me to feel a connection between the history of black people and beauty. This photo caused me to appreciate time, place, and people. When it comes to black artists, I enjoy the elements they include to honor black people. Camera were designed for lighter skin, so it is pleasant to see dark, black women being photographed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment