Thursday, October 4, 2018

Amber Carpenter - Jocelyn Lee - Post 6

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I like their use of lighting and colors, they seem to stay at a medium depth of aperture to minimize a shallow depth of field. Their colors are also of interest to me, as I find a very minimal contrast as they bring out the darks and blacks in the photos to remind me of film. I also enjoy how they position and use their models in their photos, its less senior portrait photography and more conceptual photography and thats what I wanna strive to achieve. Theres such a natural feeling to their photos that make them all feel so candid or not forced. 

2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?

The photographer seems to have a running theme with women, and youth. Theres a lot of coming of age themes in her work that I enjoy and resonate with. I would like to see her photograph other types of people as well and maybe not just younger women. I enjoy their use of nudity and the female body as its not through a male gaze lens and more through an artistic one. I think they intend to have a very natural use of a model in their photos as none of them seem forced and very fluid.

3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

I really want to achieve a look like this photographers, to me her photos are very conceptual and have a personal feeling to them. These photos all have a mood that resonates with them as if you can imagine the stories of the people behind them. These inspire me and id like to go try to make photos that give me the same feeling her work does.








No comments:

Post a Comment