Thursday, October 25, 2018

Amber Carpenter - Stephen Shore - Post 7

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I enjoy Stephens use of environment as a way of portraiture in a sense, taking pictures of ones environment can be just as descriptive about someone just as a face to face portrait could be. He uses very vivid yet soft tone colors, I would like to play with an idea of things like this in my own work and translate his use of themes, color, and environment as an inspiration. Theres a lot of rule of thirds being implemented in his photography with very rectangular formats using space and lines as a guide. 

2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?

I think Stephen might take his photographs in such a manner to show a theme of home, and nostalgia. Even though I have (most likely) never been to any of the places he has taken pictures of, they all carry a certain warmth of the environment to them as if I've been there before. I can place myself in his photographs and feel as if I'm right there in this almost too familiar environment. Theres a lot of themes of Americana and old money with middle class themes translating onwards to his photographs.

3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

I enjoy all of the choices he makes in his photographs. It makes me want to travel to these places he's photographed and place myself in this environment as well. The colors bring such a warmth and invitation to all of them. I think he has a very good use of tone and contrast, with things being present but not being too overwhelming to the image and or viewer. 







No comments:

Post a Comment