Thursday, October 11, 2018

Brezaja Hutcheson - Giacomo Brunelli - Post 7

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I am interested in how Brunelli uses high contrast in his pictures, considering the placement of light and dark, along with analyzing how the two work together in the frame. Brunelli approaches the composition of his photos in a manner that is almost geometric - the soft focus of the objects in his photos creates an element that almost renders them unintelligible,  which is an element that I admire because I feel that it creates a sense of mystery, along with the already eerie element that most of his photos contain.

I also appreciate that his photos are captured on BW film. The grain of the film gives the photos a tangible quality, making them appear less flat. Each photo seems as though it could have its own narrative, or is part of a much bigger story. 



2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?

I believe that Brunelli does try to create an environment for each of his photos. In each of his  photographic works, it appears that they have their own "mood", meaning that they can be interpreted in numerous ways. 

It is easy for one to dismiss these photos as mundane or lacking substance, but I feel that his intention was to capture the happenings of everyday life - no matter how big or small. Within each "world" that is captured in these frames, there is something that can be said about each of them - whether it deals with content, composition, or the subject matter. I believe that Brunelli wants his audience to consider all of these elements while viewing his work, while perhaps consider the fact that art comes in many forms, and there are multiple ways to interpret what can be considered art.




3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

Personally, I find myself drawn to Brunelli's photos. I admire the fact that he is able to evoke a specific mood using the subjects that he depicts, as well as the aesthetic choices that he makes in capturing these photos. I find myself particularly drawn to the high contrast between the bright lights, and the black darks in his photos.  There is also a sense of solitude that I feel while observing these photos, due to the fact that there is usually one subject in focus in each of his works.
















No comments:

Post a Comment