Thursday, October 18, 2018

Mariela Gavino - Xyza Cruz Bacani - Post 8 (week 10/19/18)







Bacani's choice in shooting in black and white adds another element of weight and melancholy to the photographs. I'm not normally drawn to black and white photography but lately I've been sitting with it a little more. I found it interesting how she utilized the drastically dark and light spaces in the compositions. They act as these big shapes that move my eye around the photos, almost in a circle. She also has careful consideration for where she places her subject. For the most part, they are centralized, but they look and feel small. The photos have a strong sense of isolation.

I believe Bacani is displaying these quiet, still moments from a voyeuristic view. The subjects don't seem aware of the camera, except the woman in the first photo. She is capturing these personal, mundane moments, in black and white which definitely communicate a sense of gloom. I can see the isolation that she is emphasizing and how she was careful on how to present it.

Sometimes, I feel that black and white can be too heavy handed in terms of creating a dramatic photo. But as I look at these pictures and others, I better understand the beauty of it. Bacani's composition and aesthetically choices are not necessarily utilized uniquely, but I do feel that her composition makes the photos stand out more. And if anything, I felt that the black and white elevated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment