Thursday, October 11, 2018

Bettina Rheims - Abby Chambers - Post 7

Bettina Rheims - Gender Studies





1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why?  

I was first drawn to Rheims' style of portraiture; they are very white and clean looking. I was also drawn to the concept of breaking "gender roles" in regards to appearance. 

2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions?  

I believe that Rheims is trying to make a statement on gender and how it relates to appearance. I know that Rheims worked a lot during the AIDS epidemic and I believe that had something to do with the content of her work. She did a lot of work based on androgyny.

3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?  

I personally enjoy her work very much. Not only are they beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, they start a conversation on something I feel passionately about.

No comments:

Post a Comment