Thursday, November 8, 2018

Hana Pearlman - LEE SALOUTOS





1)  The colors present in these photos are really compelling. The blue from the walls is really strong even though its fading. The lighting is very important for these pictures because it completely changes the mood. These pictures were taken around the same time of day, around when the sun was setting so the artist could capture the light painted on the floor from the windows.
2)  The closeness of everything in the frame is really true to my own photography style, and now that I am critiqued on it, it kind of bothers me. However, when thinking about how close in frame everything is, I realize that It was probably intentional. These photos were taken inside abandoned prisons. The cells these photos were taken in I am assuming were very small, so having the frames be cramped and close, makes a lot of sense. 
3)  I personally really enjoy abandoned buildings and these really spoke to me for many reasons. These buildings haven't really been attacked by the outside world, leaving the old within it. Many buildings are taken over by trash and graffiti, removing the history and the meaning of the building. These buildings haven't been tarnished yet, leaving the original prison aesthetic behind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment