Thursday, November 15, 2018

Amber Carpenter - Larry Sultan - Post 11

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I enjoy his use of color and composition, he uses such compositionally interesting scenes and lighting, they all have a very real life David Lynch feeling to them. He has a certain mise-en-scene to all of his photos, I'm very interested in what type of lighting he utilizes and the kind of film he uses to get these colors. 

2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?
I believe he utilizes a theme of American life and and maybe more real life tableau, as none of these photos have anything too unrealistic going on in them yet they have a very cinematic feel that is different then other Tableau photographers like Gregory Crewdson. I think conceptually he creating these very real photos, as I know he uses his parents for a lot of them.

3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

I enjoy these choices and intents, I feel a sort of nostalgic connection to Larry Sultans photos that I might not feel with someone else. I think its the use of lighting and backdrop that draw me the viewer into these photos. The clear aesthetic and theme is also one that interests me and id like to create similar things to these photos.








No comments:

Post a Comment