Thursday, November 15, 2018

amanda burton-Hannah Altman post 12






1.Which of the artists many technical choices are of interest to you and why?
Immediately I was intrigued with Hannahs self portraits. She chose to do something very personal and revealing. All of the settings are different and vacant in their own ways, bringing the tone of these images to a new dimension. All of her poses are unique as well making this series even more personal. She chose these angles of her body for a reason and I want to understand more what it exactly means. I applaud her for being so brave as to take these images and post them. As an artist I know how difficult It can be to put yourself in front of the camera.

2. What do you believe are the artists conceptual and/or thematic intentions?
Her intention was to show the public the concept of "being a woman". There are way more images in this series but I wanted to highlight just a few. Her captions for these images are kinda dark but vague. I am ver inspired to maybe do a self portrait like this one day. She is opening up herself and what she stands for. To be so vulnerable in front of the camera is very difficult and I think she did a great job showing her audience her purpose.


3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?
I personally respond to these images with great awe. I know Hannah has gotten a lot of backlash for these images and I honestly cannot understand why. She is presenting herself as her art which is a tough and touchy. Many people who do not appreciate the woman figure like to sexualize these photos. I think Hannah did an amazing job portraying her story. I want to talk to her and understand more of who she is as not only a photographer but a person.







No comments:

Post a Comment