Thursday, November 1, 2018

Brezaja Hutcheson - Obidi Nzeribe - Post 10

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

I admire how Nzeribe uses vibrant colors for his portraits, and how they vary for each individual. Each of the settings that he places his subjects in vary greatly as well.  Some are backdrops, while others are in interior spaces, while some are landscape.  

Although his style of portraiture seems more editorial-like, I find myself still able to appreciate the color, composition, and subject matter of his shots. Like many other artists I have written about before, Nzeribe focuses mainly on portraiture, as well as playing with light and softness in most of his photos.  This is interesting to me because I want to learn hw to emulate some of the effects that he was able to place in his photos.



2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?


I am not sure if this artist has clear-cut intentions, or if he goes with the vision that his subjects gave. However, I notice that with each portrait that he has made, he attempts to place his subjects in their own world that is unique to them, which is something that I admire. He realizes that his subjects are individuals, and creates clothing, makeup, and the setting for each person that is unique to them. 

By doing this, I believe that he is trying to highlight the unique beauty in each of his subjects, while trying to also keep up a fun, playful energy about his photography. Some of his subjects are in action - moving their body, settling into a pose, or creating space with their bodies somehow. I believe that each portrait that he posts on social media is perhaps a backdrop to a bigger story that is not always shared with viewers. From an outside view, It appears that his works mostly focus on aesthetics instead of a more conceptual point of view.




3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

When I look at Nzeribe's photos, it makes me want to learn how to do more things in photoshop.  I want to have these techniques in the back of my mind if need be. Additionally, his photos make me think abut what I can encourage my subjects to do in terms of performance for the camera.  It seems that in most of his portraits, his subjects are playing a role of some sort. I think that it could be interesting for me to have my subjects doing different things for the camera in the future as well.










No comments:

Post a Comment