Friday, November 16, 2018

Denver Edmonds - Malick Sidibé







1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
I enjoy the action and poses of the models within the photos. Without dramatic lighting, the photographer is allowing the subjects to appear and feel more natural to viewers. I feel as though there could be more physical elements in the photos. Overall, the photos are lacking emotion in my opinion. I feel as though the movement and poses give viewers context; yet,  something feels forced. 


2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?
I feel as though the artist is highlighting black culture. It is especially seen in the couple photos that Sidibe is portraying black love and it's relativity to influence. The outfits and movements of the models represent the characteristics of black people, which are distinct. The background of the middle photo proves to be relevant in terms of the outfits of the men. I feel as though this element adds to the idea of culture and trends for black people.   


3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I feel as though the photos are very simplistic, but I feel as though some of the elements are not pushed enough. The photos revolve around the movement/poses of the subjects rather than the subjects themselves.  This is underwhelming for me because I want to see the life that the subjects bring to the environment.  

4) Why I chose this artist?
I chose this artist because I enjoy the context of the photos, but I wanted to show an art piece that allowed me to be critical. In the past, I frequently show black photographers that make pictures that I enjoy. However, I had yet to show a black photographer that I did not like. It's not that I do not like the photos, but I feel as though they are too simple for me to enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment