Thursday, November 1, 2018

Emma Doherty- Helmut Newton






1. Which of the artists technical choices are of interest to you and why?
As I was reading about Newton and viewing his work, I noticed his use of dramatic lighting and his almost "awkward" positioning of his subjects. Although Helmut Newton was known as a fashion photographer, it seemed as if he tried to ignore the fashion and focus simply on the subject and the structure of the photo.

2. What do you believe are the artists conceptual and/or thematic intentions?
What really appealed to me was that he was trying to show off how important it was to see who was wearing the clothes and how the subject reacted with the setting and other subjects in the photo. It was as if he was honoring the model rather than the clothes. He was exploring what was under the clothing and how people responded to that in the aspect of fashion photography.

3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?
I always found fashion photography to be a wild form of photography. It was difficult for me personally to enjoy the art beyond the clothes. After viewing Newton's work, it validates my views of fashion photography. It has taught me to look beyond the clothes and view how the clothes react with the actions, subject, setting, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment