Friday, November 2, 2018

Denver Edmonds - Makena Mambo *post 10*



1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
In the first photo, I  feel as though the lighting is really beautiful in each image, so the artist really thought about time of day and subject placement. I also enjoy the location against the subject's clothes. The lighting brings out the textures in the clothing and the subject's features. In the other two photos, I enjoy hhiw there is a low aperture with no dramatic lighting. Since there are two subjects, I feel as though I enjoy the simple elements of their poses, minimal lighting, and small shadows.    


2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?
I feel as though the artist is displaying a fashion piece while using cultural concepts. The black women are the subjects and they are presented beautifully, which is a under appreciated concept in fashion. They are wearing beautiful garments and the artist thought about how the light impacts their clothing. Also, I feel as though the location serves the purpose of recognizing the nautral beauty of black women. 


3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I think each element draws me to the pictures more because of the simplistic nature of the photos. The photos are highlighting the beauty of the women, even though the other two do not include much light. I also enjoy the clothing, but I feel as though I'm more interested in the subjects and their poses while being in nature. 


4) Why I chose this artist?

I chose this artist because they represent black women through these photos. I feel as though they chose the right elements for the location and subjects. The elements mainly work for the subject, which is difficult to do for black people because cameras were designed for lighter skin. Appreciating blackness is always something that I look for in photography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment