Friday, November 16, 2018

Brezaja Hutcheson - Peter Hujar - Post 12

1. Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

The fact that Hujar can capture the many aspects of human life, the struggles of individuals, as well as the aspects about them that make them unique is something truly admirable. When looking at his portraits, I am drawn to the choice that Hujar makes when creating portraits. He aims to make his subjects as comfortable as possible. They are usually photographed in a home setting - sitting down on a bed or in a chair, on a couch, or somewhere where it is obvious that they feel that they can expose the intimate parts of themselves to the camera, and to Hujar as well. I feel that he was successful at establishing a good relationship with his subjects first - his photographs are proof of this.

Hujar was also unique in the fact that he did animal portraits as well. This is unusual because when one thinks about portraiture, usually the association with humans comes with it. Hujar shifts the narrative by allowing space for animals to be represented in his work, which I believe is truly powerful. In my opinion, animals tend to be overlooked by the general population, which results in their individuality being underestimated. I appreciate how Hujar took the time to analyze these animals and consider the contexts that they might be able to be photographed in, and how it could mimic certain aspects of portraits involving humans.




2. What do you believe are the artist's conceptual work and/or thematic intentions?

I believe that Hujar simply wanted to document life. A major part of his work focuses on queer life - sexuality, gender identity/expression, and the AIDS epidemic were all major themes in his work. I love the fact that he wanted to capture the authenticity of these aspects of his subject's lives, along with the fact that he was transparent about his own life an an openly gay man.

I believe that he wanted to offer a glimpse into the lives of his subjects from those who may be living on the outside - people who may not be as aware of how certain marginalized communities navigate through life.



3. How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

I am inspired by his work, to say the least.
I discovered Hujar's work only very recently, and I am grateful that I have.  Looking at his work, along with others like Nan Goldin and David Wojnarowicz have opened the door for me to see a different side of photography, specifically in terms of documenting self-expression, and using photographs to comment on a deeper issue or topic.  The intent behind Hujar's photographs is there, but it is ever so subtle, as not to overwhelm the viewer or spoon-feed them, which I admire and wish to emulate in my own work.













































No comments:

Post a Comment